Practical Things to Remember…
There are a few practices I hold on to. Most of them are for beginner levels. They help me learn Swedish better and faster.
- Listen, listen listen… Listen with all your senses. Listen to everything, even if you do not understand a word.
- Try to read and understand every word and phrase you see. Pick up a newspaper and read it. You will get used to the words and it will be a lot easier to learn their meanings. Do not miss the comics on milk packages.
- The joy of Klartext. Jag är tokig i.
- Get engaged in the process, let the language become a new part of you. Do not stay alienated just like a stranger.
- Use your software in Swedish. Shift the language on Facebook, Skype, Facebook games… anything.
- Watch your favorite movie again and again with Swedish subtitles. You may also make it the other way around with a Swedish movie.
- Read and compare texts with their English translations.
- Use your walls.
- Discuss the meanings and origins of words. Make research. Words may have fantastic stories; remember, they are very very old.
Repeat every morning.
Practice a lot.